Prior to second HDB appointment, we are supposed to conduct an inspection and confirm the flat is in acceptable condition just before we collect the key. Was wondering what should we look out for other than the keys are all passed to us, and I come across a website with the checklist!
Checklist for HDB inspection:
- Any unauthorised renovation work or illegal installations?
- Any fittings outside windows
- Corridor fixtures to be “movable” at any time.
- Those stuff outside house, are not allowed to be fixed (by means of screw/glue/cement, etc) onto wall or floor e.g. rack, pot, stand. Any hook within house is ok, but not OUTSIDE. People like to hang stuff such as flower pot/bird cage/banners outside….obstruct traffic and cause potential danger.
- Sanitary pipes any leakage/personal modification
- Aircon /sliding/casement window safety issue
- Illegal renovation such as platform too high, boxed up of bomb shelter hole
- Any major cracks on the walls? Broken tiles? Big holes on the floor? If it’s visible when u sign the OTP, then seller does not have to rectify.
- All unwanted items removed by the seller? As you do not need to inherit any unwanted items.
- All the electrical lighting points are working? By switching on all the lights one by one.
- Test built-in stuffs to see if they are working? E.g. instant water heater, aircon, fan, shower screen door, water pipe.
- Check to see if all the windows glasses are working fine by opening and closing them.
- All the keys to your window grills and bedroom doors are intact by locking and unlocking them.
- Check the ceilings and corners for tell-tale signs of water leakage:
- ‘Bubbles’ in the paintwork,
- Paintwork peeling off,
- Wavy brown stains that forms a circle, and/or
- Dampness on the ceiling or some crystallised water droplets.
- If it is an old estate, needs to take note things like the toilet lower window glass needs to be those types which had embedded wire mesh in the glass panels.
Reminder/ To-do list:
- Pay the fire insurance on the same day, just before we go for the second appointment
- Check whether the house has charms or talismans
What if we found the ceiling leakage/paint peeling? Will we be able to get the owner to rectify before handover
Sorry for late reply. We didn’t since we are “hacking” the unit down. I think it’s depending on how you negotiate with the owner. If you are moving in without renovation, you might negotiate with own for a discount (if they are not rectifying it) or rectify before you moved in. Usually you won’t be able to identify ceiling leakage/paint peeling during home visiting before purchase though.